10-28 Notes

Review of agenda
Common understanding, Identification of additional items (Questions/Actions are listed below in red)

Evan & Others

Discuss proposal, Next Steps
Evan & Sue
The Ed Service directors agreed to train a cohort of 15 teachers ($300 stipend out of grant money for each participant) to become Intel online teachers. Each participant would agree to offer one section of the course this spring or summer. Each participant would take the Online Facilitation course from 12/6-1/16. The courses would be offered via a "catalog course" or, if an AEA wished, as a site-based course. Who will be in the cohort of 15 teachers?
Some concerns about consultants' time. The option of catalog courses was wanted by all.
Deliver the facilitation course Dec 16 - Jan 16. Group of consultants who are going through OLLIE courses - next course will be facilitation course - 2 courses going on at the same time. One will specifically be looking at content in INTEL course. Intel version of Ollie course for those who overlap. Evan will email details tomorrow. Course number is ready to go for people to sign up. Identified 25 teachers in the Ollie sequence, 20 in instructional design course. 5 others who have already taken that. Do you have preference on how we select the consultants to go through that training? Sue mentioned that she has worked with Peter Holley and we will be able to use that with the Elements. If you go through the training, we want you to offer the Elements course. We want them to offer one course in either spring or summer. The first one is done and ready. Statewide server will be up and running within a month. The next 2 courses are assessment and collaboration - both content is available to see online but not available to download. Evan is working on the assessment course and as of now the plan is to have Denise Krefting work on collaboration course in conjunction with others. Those will be ready by Christmas so they can be offered in the spring. Two other courses - Leadership and Data. The content of those won't be available until January/February/Spring. You can look at certain areas and determine if you have a course you wish to specialize in. With the Intel courses, if a catalog course it would be statewide. If there are AEAs who are working with particular schools, site-based versions are an option to be paid by the AEA. As a result the fees could vary. All catalog courses will be a standard fee. Out of the group of 24 going through the Ollie cohort - 15 of those attended the Intel training last May. Give those people the first option. If slots still available - how do we choose? Do we make sure all AEAs are represented? It would be our intent to offer a spot to each AEA. And Evan will see about getting a few more spots if necessary. If you are offering a course site-based, you wouldn't get reimbursed, it would be part of your contract. Evan will get a list of individuals ready and send out communication to them tomorrow and after that list will touch base with each AEA that does not have someone represented.
Statewide approved syllabus - the AEAs job is to take content and put in proposal system. A new syllabus will be created for the 2nd course - and the 1st course will be the prerequisite. A consultant is being trained right now and everything is on CD right now - still face to face, but no notebook.
Discuss proposal, Next Steps
Nancy, Vic, and Evan
There will be a facilitation course for the current OLLIE cohort from 12/6-1/16 (the same time as the "Intel" facilitation course). Participants would receive a $120 stipend to cover the costs of recertification credit and a $200 stipend once they offer an OLLIE course.
Cohort 1 was paid a different rate. Cohort 1 has not taken the facilitation course. Cohort 1 took 2 courses, the content they created was going to the repository and will be available for future teacher to use - that's why they were paid the extra dollars. Cohort 2 is to train trainers.
Evan and Nancy are proposing a cohort for statewide leadership teams in the spring. That would entail 1) Technology for Online Instruction 1/10-2/13, 2) Instructional Design 2/21-4/3, and 3) Facilitation 4/11-5/15. This will involve members from the statewide math, science, and social studies teams, which would determine the end goals for the course. The cohorts would be determined by the statewide leadership teams (we have room for 20-30 participants). If you have a consultant you would like to recommend for this cohort, please let Evan know. Participants would receive a stipend of $360 to cover recertification credit and $300 for completion of the goals set by the statewide teams (total = $660).
Cohort 3 - talked with jt directors briefly. The proposal is a statewide content building cohort. Learn how online learning works, they would collectively build some online content in their statewide leadership teams. If a 4th is done, they would gather a group of consultants and they would go thru the spring cohort and develop the content. Course on technology for online instruction in Jan, instructional design in Feb, facilitation in Apr/May. The consultant would get stipend for recertification fee and for completion of the goals. Online K-12 content is being developed by Eric Hart from Central. Gwen - Sciences courses developed do align with the Core, developing on our own a US history course that aligns with Core - if it goes well, other social studies and English courses will be developed.
The benefit of the cohort is to build courses for the future. Science is interested in participating.
Evan's recommendation is to have statewide leadership teams determine the members and the specific goals to work on. Let Evan know if you have someone interested in being a part. The ARRA money designated for the training is to build K-12 capacity. ARRA grant ties in with higher ed - discussion with community colleges - are there areas we can create k-12 dual credit courses - looking at STEM grant. Teacher prep programs - need to meet and talk about.
Higher ed could set up Moodle servers and pre-service teachers could practice with that - would like to see higher ed collaboration work with Moodle - some of that content could be used at the secondary level. It would be valuable for teacher prep to experience several options - Blackboard, Moodle, etc.

The Media Service Directors and representatives from the UENs will hear proposals for a statewide Moodle repository system at their November meeting.

How to support districts with their LMS - their Moodle. Districts could go on their own - get their own installment of Moodle - training from AEA. AEA would host it as a service. One statewide server where schools could go - they wouldn't have to support that server - content would be located in one location. Media Services Directors prefer the statewide option. The collaboration component offers a lot of promise. The grant creates content, purchases content and accesses some free content. The problem comes with how do the teachers use it - time consuming, not easy. If all schools had access to the same server - teachers could draw from same repository. November meeting - will have presentations from the 4 different LMS versions. EduDocs - Vic talked about. Will allow us to put pdf docs into EduVision - also ability to leave comments for videos. PBS is creating digital learning library DLL - vast collection of content in various shapes and forms. Each state PBS can either lease, or purchase IPTVs or can develop their own. How will teachers know what information they are pulling from whatever resource are quality? The logistical structure - do a search and come up with the resources - part of that search would show somehow that an item is approved content - tagged. How can we assure we have quality - what is the process? Will need to continue to examine. There are lots of processes for checks and balances. There are several AEAs that have federated searches. One learning as a teacher could be to learn how to access that. The process of having a tighter integration - need an API, work with those Moodle providers to create that. Vetting the courses for the repository - would have to train the administrators to have a process. The vetting of content that teachers would provide - the structure is not in place to do that. Interested in tapping into ILO's capacity - also work with statewide leadership teams. The intent is that the trained people are the ones putting in the information - so there needs to be a certain amount of trust that the process is in place. Other quality control is data - that assessment has not been developed yet.
Transition Process Update
Inform, Discuss
• Registration System - Still on schedule to be available in November, although actual registrations probably won't occur until 2011.

Specific things that need approved by advisory council would be what could cause a hold-up.

• Moodle Server - Evan is in the process of applying a Moodle template and install modules. Will have that completed by Nov 5. Then, Evan will work with agencies to move over current courses (and users???). Iowa Core content will be moved over to the statewide moodle server as soon as the foundation has been set and tested (probably mid-November). We need to decide an address for the Moodle server.

Statewide Moodle repository - could be that AEAs are a part of that. Move content to statewide server - benefit would be saving money. Management of users will be at a local level. Virtualized server - the statewide server at Heartland. Iowaaea.org - idea is to have our webpage part of their site. moodle.iowaaea.org or iowa.pdonline.org for Moodle address. Initial thoughts - on the iowa.pdonline - would like to have aea in there somewhere - is there a reason why we have to have moodle at all - could be confusing to add aea - another thought was aea.pdonline - for opening page on Moodle could promote AEA there.
Options - iowapdonline, iowaaea, aeapdonline VOTE results - aeapdonline Evan will get that set up.

• 28E - Draft will be available in 2 weeks for AEAs to look at. Final revisions were made 10/27.
Written agreement that will govern the statewide system. Draft will be available in a couple of weeks that will be shared with chief administrators and business office and this group.

• Website/Marketing - Evan is working on the initial website, and will have content for Julie and Sue to look at next Monday. He also has access to the AEA Twitter account and will begin marketing course offerings through that. Evan will be working with Aaron Cook in November to develop a short promotional web-video for the new website.
Not much to update at this point. Put some basic information together in November. Comm directors would like a short video. Evan also has access to Twitter and Facebook.

Evan presented at the ITEC, iTAG, and IWLA conferences, as well as at the statewide leadership team meetings, giving information on online offerings and the future plans of the system.

Pricing Structure
Look at and provide feedback.

• Licensure Renewal Process (see advisory council)
Special Education PD Committee
Inform, Discuss
Sped PD Comm Members
Gary Petersen presentation: Gary is part of collaborative sped prof dev group.
Linda Bann - 267, Anita Collier - NW Aea, Martha Condon & Sarah Brown - 11, David Happy - DE
Currently training all AEAs on ChildFind. Mode of training is face-to-face. Eventually would like to provide training in the online environment. The team trains trainers at each AEA. Goal is to develop resources that others would utilize to develop the online training. Goal down the road would be self-sustaining modules. Funding options will need to be explored.
Advisory Council Update
Inform, Discuss, Next Steps
Advisory Council meets Tuesday, Oct 26, 4:00-5:00

Decided that the best way forward is to work as subcommittees. Intention is to apply for licensure renewal status for January meeting. Would like policy handbook created and ready for next meeting.

The advisory committee discussed the format of Adobe Connect Pro for meetings and the current documents. Members reviewed the course proposal and recommended that a rubric was required as part of the submission.

The group agreed to tackle policies in 4 subcommittees. Each subcommittee will make recommendations back to the large group at the next advisory council meeting, which will take place in a month.

GROUP 1 - Will recommend policies around COURSE and INSTRUCTOR EXPECTATIONS, and will look at 1) the course proposal form, 2) the formal guidelines, 3) the timesheet guidelines, 4) the instructor vita, and 5) criteria for hiring instructors

GROUP 2 - Will recommend policies around REGISTRATION, FEES, and PAYMENT

GROUP 3 - Will recommend policies around TECHNOLOGY, USER SUPPORT, and USER EXPECTATIONS, including other system support policies like copyright, equity, and privacy.

GROUP 4 - Will recommend policies around EVALUATION (including program, course, and instructor evaluation), and will gather data necessary for a needs assessment, as well as criteria for determining future partnering graduate institutions.

Group 1 = Gail Wortmann, Shelly Stoppel, Jean Cross, Sue Swartz, David Olson, Geri McMahon, *Becky Mather, *Julie Alfaro, *Dorothy Degroot, *Arlan Thorson, *Bryan Bauer, *Deb Versteeg, *Trista Peitzman, *Vicki Zylstra, *Linda Hensley

Group 2 = Sharon Kurns, Kim Thuente, Barb Chambers, *Sherry Sines, *Katie Gavin

Group 3 = Judy Griffin, Lynn McCartney, Diane Jackson, Norma Thiese, *Tiffany DeJager, *Vic Jaras, *Andy Crozier, *Brian Unruh, *Jon Wibbels

Group 4 = Gordon Dahlby, *Rhonda Sheeley, *Marcel Kielkucki, *Troyce Fisher, *David Wilkinson, *Allan Nelson, *Jen Sigrist, *Cindy Swanson, *Greg Davis, *Mary Herring, *Steve Rheinschmidt, Gwen Nagel
What needs to be communicated?
Future agenda items?
Items on the next agenda include:
Examples of the website and statewide moodle server
Feedback from chief administrators on future transition work
Trista Peitzman- share information on teacher courses
any other ideas - contact Evan