Review of agenda, Updates
Common understanding, Identification of additional items (Questions/Actions are listed below in red)
Evan & Others
90
Recording for today's meeting:
http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/p84tssv7a9j/

• Governance Council & Chiefs
  • This council will meet monthly, the next meeting is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, November 8
  • Mentoring Proposal Approval
    • Will be taken to the chiefs
    • Jeff Herzberg spoke on this topic at the chiefs meeting
  • DE mandatory reporter training?
    • At the License Renewal Coordinator meeting, there was discussion regarding about a DE employee offering mandatory reporter training to districts free of cost
    • If this is true, this would offset our funding stream
    • Kevin Fangman is unaware of this training being available, he will check into this further
    • The training was delivered via ICN, it was based on approved content of the Iowa Department of Public Health
    • Does the state prefer that the mandatory reporter not be taken online?
      • There was some discussion about concern of a particular group regarding the cost
      • We do not know if this is a targeted training towards particular groups
      • It appears that questions are coming from the Family Council
      • We do not have all the details and we do not want to form any opinions
      • Email from AEA267 will be forwarded to Evan
      • Future communication will come out regarding this topic
      • ICN session was being offered to Davenport Schools for the Mandatory Reporter was offered last week
      • ISEA is under writing and promoting Mandatory Reporter through another venue
        • There is a website out there that offers Mandatory Reporter free of cost
        • An email will be sent out by ISEA state-wide regarding this website
        • This will have an impact on the AEA's
      • Department of Health should not be advocating one method of delivery over another
      • We received some feedback from one superintendent
        • His feedback was based around workgroups that are not required to take this training for license renewal
        • He would like these workgroups to take the training at no cost because they do not make a salary for him to be comfortable asking them to pay this fee in order to complete this training
        • He asked if we could offer a Mandatory Reporter training at no fee for these workgroups
      • How many people will now ask for a refund of their money if they find out that this training is offered for free?
        • When we first place a fee on this training, we really thought that we would hear a lot of negative feedback
        • We have not received a lot of feedback from the teachers themselves
        • Hearing that ISEA and the DE is involved putting forth a free program, they must have heard from teachers somewhere that this is something that they do not like
        • Or online is not working
      • One thing that we do not advertise, the way the trainings are set up is that you complete the training and then asked to enter a credit card number or print a registration form and mail in with payment
        • Some districts have people take the training and stop prior to paying, these are the people who do not need the Certificates of Completion
        • It would seem to be that a better way of doing this is to offer a free training to these workgroups
      • We have also heard from Jeri McMahon at the Board of Educational Examiners, is that they do not need an original Certificate of Completion to renew a license.
        • Jeri is checking with the Department of Public Health to see if an original needs to be sent
        • If it does not, we will be allowing participants to print their own Certificates of Completion
      • Should a phone conference between Evan, Department of Health, ISEA and other required parties to get this issue worked out in order to get this issue resolved
        • We need to get to the bottom of this issue because if this is something that will affect our funding stream, we need to know as soon as possible in order to work it out and possibly look for other funding streams
        • Evan will be holding a conversation with Davenport Schools, Kevin at the DE and Cindy at ISEA regarding the other training opportunities out there
      • What Evan is proposing would not change our funding stream, we would still charge the $25 for the completion of the Mandatory Reporter
    • Evan will come back with answers at our next meeting
  • Additional sources of revenue
    • Evan received a call last Wednesday from Barbara Smith, she owns a small company in Massachusetts
    • Barbara created the Medication Administration trainings that the DE was using
      • Barbara worked with Marv Howard to move the Med Admin training to our current Online Training System
      • Barbara likes the delivery method of these trainings and is wanting to form a partnership to offer the trainings to other work groups outside of Iowa K-12 schools
      • This is being investigated to check the legality of Heartland offering trainings to other institutions because we are commissioned to offer trainings to K-12 schools and university/colleges
      • Technically we do allow this already, we do have participants that are not affiliated K-12 system
      • This will be a discussion point at the next Chiefs meeting
      • This is a creative idea to generate new funds
      • How does Barbara benefit?
        • Barbara would get a portion of the money that is paid, i.e. if we collect $25 for each training Heartland would retain a portion and the remainder would be paid to Barbara
      • If it is legal and we can offer through our system it would be great
      • Whatever trainings that would be hosted in our system would have to be applicable to K-12 schools
      • The only item that should be thought about, are we opening up the door for any business and offer the same type of deal with them. On the surface it looks good, but are we opening up potential problems.
      • We may want to come up with some process that will be used to possibly offer trainings through our Online Learning System. This training should be transparent and communicated fully to give other entities an opportunity to offer trainings.
      • If this goes forward, we will need to develop criteria to proceed to ensure that the content is applicable to K-12 schools
      • This is a matter for the governance council
    • Some organizations, ie. community colleges, may be interested in our training system for some of their Human Resource training needs.
    • Our hope is to drive down the cost to our school districts, we may not be able to go totally free

• Joint Directors
  • Ed Tech ARRA proposal
    • Nancy is going to the Media Directors with a proposal to the joint directors for a technology support person
      • A job description was sent out by Nancy
      • A discussion will be held
        • regarding if this this is the right time for this position
        • What the duties will actually be for this position
        • Would this person be able to meet the needs of certain groups, as well as the other groups based on two days a week
      • Currently there are
        • requests for new courses
        • AQUILA courses that are currently being done, was Scott told to stop doing work on this project
          • It was felt that at this time, it is maintain the status quo
    • Curriculum position is going to be look at also
    • What was discussed on Tuesday was the work around Moodle
      • A part-time person would not be able to support this
      • There are probably people at the AEA level that could perform the initial work
      • This would be the contribution by the AEA
      • Single user sign on is a concern
  • Sue Swartz and Sandra from the DE have been presented to the superintendents around the state on the Intel trainings
  • Sharon had concerns about promoting the trainings so far in advance of when the trainings will be available
    • Where are we at on these trainings?
      • One-to-One Training
        • The system needs to know what is available and what is not
        • This training may be available after Christmas
    • When do we expect some of these trainings going to be available?
    • Currently, content for four classes is ready, but not all have been proposed to be held
      • It is recommended that these classes be facilitated and be face-to-face
    • Following are the classes:
      • Leadership in the 21st Century (1 credit course) training begins in January (Peggy is teaching this course)
      • Collaboration in the Digital Classroom (1 credit course)
      • Project-based Approaches (2 credit course)
        • This is geared to be the entry course
        • This is heavily aligned with the Iowa Core
      • These are proposed to be catalog courses to be facilitated and offered for credit
        • We could make Modules out of them
        • These would be walk-through for self-directed learning
        • They could go to the Intel site and preview each course
    • When we first got involved with this, there was a three hour initial training course that was face-to-face
      • Thinking with Technology is the face-to-face portion of this course
      • We were asked to train people in this process and align with the Iowa Core
      • There were a lot of questions from the Ed Services Directors
      • We were told that there was a grant and we were to train a certain number of teachers a year
      • It was agreed that this could be done online
    • We need some answers in order to answer questions being asked by superintendents
      • There is a high interest in this topic
      • If there is a need for this training, we need to have the opportunity to get this content in a deliverable fashion
      • We have not received all the information necessary to prepare these courses
      • We need time to offer a quality training
    • Was it indicated that the One-to-One training online or not
      • It does not indicate on the information that is provided
      • There was a pilot done in a different state, but we have not received any feedback regarding this offering
    • The Data training is not available for training, it has not been provided by Intel
    • When we looked at the content originally
      • The content was great, but it would be better if it was facilitated
      • The concerns is if you take the content itself, the discussions would not be as good if it was not facilitated by a trained facilitator
    • We can more actively pursue online instructors for our catalog courses
      • Courses do not have to develop a course because that is already done
      • We could utilize our mentors to walk-through new instructors to online teaching to get the content out there
    • The elements piece is a nice addition, it was originally started out as a hoop
      • You could get teachers to go through the elements to meet our quota for the grant
      • There is no way to track how many have gone through the online videos
    • We will move forward on the the following
      • We can take content out and make into a modular setting to be done by Thanksgiving
      • We can target some additional Intel instructors through our Mentoring program
    • Peggy will give access to anyone within the AEA system, please email her

• License Renewal Coordinators
  • No Mandatory Reporter Certificates?
    • Evan will send out updates regarding our Online Learning System
  • New EDMA requirements/challenges
    • Term used by Drake for graduate credit that follows the new federal regulation
      • We have had push back by our instructors in meeting this requirement
      • We are trying to make it easier for the instructors in meeting this requirement
      • A survey will be created and conducted regarding this topic
  • Ongoing consistency measures

• Advisory Council
Instructor survey, new EDMA requirements/challenges

• Board of Education - Online Learning
  • PK20 Portal
    • A representative from the North Carolina Virtual Public Schools met with a group of individuals
    • They presented a proposal to the Department of Education and it will be taken to the Legislature this session
    • The partners
      • The Bell and Blank
      • Kirkwood Community College
      • LEA that wishes to put course up there
      • It is recommended that a group of superintendents be brought together to determine the amount of money that needs to be charged for these courses
    • Launch date would be Fall of 2012
    • There is no PK20 Council in the State, it is suggested that one be formed
    • We would like to take this into the workplace

• Online Training System
  • Usage = up to 350,000 completed trainings since new system went live in 9/09. 80,000 current users
  • Report Printing
    • Districts can print out reports by training for the entire district or by person
  • Server Security
    • Marv has done a good job in keeping our virtual server up and running
  • Upload Courses
    • Mid-November districts should have the ability to upload their own courses
    • It will retain the accessed information and allow districts to collect signatures of completion
  • Merging Issue
    • We can manually merge accounts
    • Hopefully in the next month this will be done by Marv
  • "Diocese Issue"
    • A person who needs access to more than one district
      • Currently, we have to have a person create more than one account
      • Or partner with a district contact across AEA's who can be granted access to the district
  • Email Recovery
    • Biggest issue is the password recovery by email
      • Evan is hoping to get this up and running by the end of the month
      • Hopefully, this will make life easier for AEA contacts


    • Upload Courses
  • Conversion of SoftChalk Tutorials
    • A training based on HIPPA has been created and this will be the first trial of uploading SoftChalk into the Online Training System
  • Use of Eduvision
    • Trying to get Marv access to this in order to embed videos in the Online Training System
  • It was suggested that a report on revenues at the meetings
    • This will be posted on the Wiki by Evan
  • Online training Professional Development
    • Have discussions been held with the districts that "opted out" of the Online Training System been made aware the trainings that are available
    • We have nine districts that have opted out of the Online Training System
      • Evan will compile a list of the districts and at the next meeting, action steps will be decided on how to handle these districts
      • Can information of the trainings available in the Online Training System be placed in the School Leader Update
      • Direction in the past on this issue
        • Starts with Evan
        • Sent to eight different groups and distributed through the AEA's communication process

• Peggy
  • Every Child Reads is on the Moodle
    • Waiting for Communication as to when switch over will happen
  • Twitter
    • Peggy is set up and will be tweeting out offerings
  • Intel
  • Moodle modules
    • Modules currently on the test Moodle
      • Rubrics module
      • Image slide show module
      • Games module
    • Video resources will be added at a later date

• Iowa Core - Curriculum
  • Communication will come back to Evan and Peggy in January

• Iowa Core - Alignment
  • Evan has been speaking with Brad Neibling
    • Brad is currently working on obtaining a contract from the DE to continue Alignment work
    • Hope to have movement by the end of next month

• IELDA, ELPSA, TELPA trainings
  • Evan is working with Colleen Anderson
  • She would like to have trainings located on our Online Learning System based on ELL
  • Content would be developed by Colleen and her group, it would not require a lot of time by Marv
  • If the amount of time needed by Marv changes, Evan will come back to this group

• Transportation PD
  • According to Max at the DE
    • The DE currently offers an online training to bus drivers
    • There is a cost associated with it
    • Evan is not sure if this will be a training that replaces the current training or if it will be used on collaboration with the current training
Moodle Users Group
Discuss, Next Steps
Evan & Bob Puffer
30
  • We have discussed creating an Online Users group behind Moodle
    • It is meant to benefit our AEA staff and our LEA staff
    • This would create partnerships with post-secondary institutions
    • Concerns have been raised
      • Around who would facilitate
      • The time involved with this
  • Bob Puffer from Luther College
    • Has worked with Moodle since 1994
    • He feels that this is the strongest platform with the strongest community support of anything else out there
    • CLAMP-Collaborative Liberal Arts Moodle Project founding memeber
      • Puts out information on bug issues
      • Migration to Moodle 2.X
    • The college Moodle users could provide assistance and draw great value with the collaborating with K-12 school districts using Moodle
    • Effective user groups would have to occur on a couple of different levels
      • Administration level
        • This could take place through meetings to provide a place quality discussions
      • Key teachers
        • Not administrators, but are the go to people with Administrators are not available
    • There would be a two way collaboration going on between online and face-to-face sessions
      • Specifics could be hashed out
    • What needs to happen to go from conceptual an active group
      • Identify the stakeholders at the K-12 level and the post-secondary level
      • Outline communication vehicles that are intended to be used for the forums and face-to-face meetings
        • A website of some sort or even a Google site to identify the number of people that are interested in getting involved
          • Information could be sent out to the registrants as the group develops
          • This would be critical, as a common place to begin for Moodle users as we prepare from one platform to the next
      • To have discussions with peers to embrace the idea and see the value that can be gained through a collaboration
      • There would be steps that need to take place at the AEA level before any of this can move forward
        • These steps need to be identified
        • This is long overdue
        • The more that the colleges understand what the K-12 students are experiencing, the better prepared they will be for the incoming students
      • What can be done informally to get started
        • To create a Moodle meeting place
        • Create a Twitter hashtag for Moodle
        • Create a common name (branding) for this group
          • Possibly Iowa Moodle Users Group (IMUG)
          • Would there be an issue with other groups that are outside of the state of Iowa with the naming of this group
            • Bob does not think that this would be an issue for the colleagues outside of Iowa
        • Spreading the word about this group because every Moodle Admin knows a handful of other Moodle Admins
        • Once we have people involved, we can move to a more formal format
      • Moodle Forums has developed some nasty habits of not answering a question that has been asked before
        • this creates a problem because it takes some skill to navigate the forum
        • a combination of a state-wide group and an international group may be the best answer
        • With the release of 2.0, fewer people are willing to address questions regarding 1.0
    • Can Evan, Peggy, Bob and Tiffany begin working on creating a common space (Google Site), common branding and start some Twitter chatter about the group prior to the next meeting in December?
      • Bob has the time to participant and is wanting to contribute
      • Tiffany and Peggy are common Twitter users and will take care of this
      • Evan will visit with IDLA and IACTE
      • Bob will communicate with other members and colleagues
      • Tiffany will share out with the ITech Board and with Iowa State University
      • COFI through Nancy
    • Hashtag for Twitter is #imug and it will be used to create chatter on Twitter
    • Email distribution during setup was suggested, once this group goes public a different collaboration vehicle could be chosen
    • Bob invited a representative from the AEA to a HACK group at Tulane University in New Orleans in January
Mentoring
Inform, Discuss, Next Steps
Evan
30
  • This has been approved by the Council
  • HR hiring procedures = 12/5
  • Piloting group?
    • Intel teachers would be a good group to target for mentoring
    • There are two checklists that have been created to assist with mentoring

Group Brainstorming
Discuss
All
20
Topics of interest to the group, to discuss


Closing
What needs to be communicated?
Future agenda items?
Evan
5
Agenda items:
Evan will contact ISEA, Davenport Schools, Kevin
Intel work modules will be created and mentors will be sought
Moodle users group
  • common google space will be created
  • Tweets will begin
Districts that are not involved with the Online Training program, what is going to be done with those?
Communications flowchart for the Online Training System updates