Review of agenda, Updates
Common understanding, Identification of additional items (Questions/Actions are listed below in red)
Evan & Others
90
Recording for today's meeting: http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/p6hmqhspah7/

• Iowa Core Alignment
  • Not sure of the status of the contract with Brad Neibling
    • Former consultant of Heartland
    • Put together the ICAT tool
    • Used distance learning technology for Alignment training
  • Evan has been added to the agenda to address this topic
  • The next steps need to be discussed
• Special Education Directors - Child Find, AEA Special Ed Procedures Manual, PBIS, UDL/AIM
  • Evan has been attempting to get on the agenda of the SPED Directors
  • Earliest available time is January
  • Evan has prepared information regarding how online learning can assist them
    • Has the current offerings
    • Would like to see what we can offer
    • Evan and Julie Schendal have spoke about PBIS and Child Find
  • Iowa is part of a consortium of states that have put together materials (CAST) for UDL/AIM
    • Spring 2009 courses were downloaded and placed on the Heartland Moodle server
    • Evan met with Assistive Tech statewide team to view the courses at that time
    • Many of these individuals are going through the OLLIE Cohort at this time
    • These courses may be offered once updates are made
• Intel Mentoring
  • Peggy is teaching the Intel Leadership course in January
  • Two individuals are going through Mentoring
    • They will be offering the Project-based course in January
  • Mentoring program has informally started
    • Have met with the mentors to discuss how AEA PD Online works
    • Peggy has created a new role for the Mentors
      • This allows mentors to view the course and have the same privileges as the instructor, but will not be listed as instructor
  • All four courses are ready to be offered from our server
    • Peggy had these available in October
    • Biggest problem has been finding instructors
    • How are these courses marketed?
      • If the course is not being offered, we could possibly add Peggy as the contact to answer questions regarding courses that are not being offered.
      • They can contact Evan also, he has not received any phone calls to date.
    • Each AEA has had at least two consultants go through the training on Intel
      • District X could ask that all their teachers go through the Intel training
      • It could be run as a district-based course
        • We could set up server space or move it to their server
        • AEA PD Online does not have a whole lot to do with site-based courses
    • Peggy is currently offering two courses for Intel and we are looking for additional instructors for the remaining courses
    • Sue will send Peggy the names of the master instructors in each district, Peggy will contact them about teaching an online course
      • Open course-instructors are paid
      • Site-based-instructors are not paid because it is done on contract
    • When is the one-on-one course going to be ready
      • We own the contact, but a meeting needs to be set up with the Ed Services Directors
    • Project-based Approaches course and the Leadership course are being offered in January
    • We promote through Online catalog and Twitter
      • Evan will send out the email for promotion of these courses
    • Sue shared that we may be able to use Round 2 of the Intel dollars to pay for mentors
      • Currently mentors are being paid through AEA PD Online
      • This may enable use to train additional mentors
    • Is the Leadership course the same content as the self-pace course?
      • Yes, it is the same course
      • The facilitation is in addition to this coursework
• Mandatory Reporter, Non-Participating Districts
  • We charge $25 for the training
  • We have not received a lot of push back from teachers regarding this charge
  • We have heard from administrators that would like to pay for the training
  • Heartland's business office has been hesitant to offer the PO payment by districts or have the districts pay a set amount at this time
  • There are workgroups that are being told that they need to take the training by districts, but do not necessarily need it for license renewal
    • Should a training be created for these workgroups (ie. cooks, bus drivers, associates, paras)?
  • It was discussed that there was an individual from the Department of Education offering the Mandatory Training to Davenport and Waterloo
    • Kevin Fangman was not aware of this training
    • It is not state funded
    • Geri McMahon stated that this option may cause problems
      • People would try to use the training that is not approved to renew their license
      • It was a retired person from the DE that was offering the training
      • Department of Public Health has a variety of different options for this training
        • You can pay a cost of $18 to $30 for individual trainings
        • or you can buy the content for approximately $700 for the content
      • If I am a para and need to renew a para certificate, the para will need the Mandatory Reporter Certificate of Completion
      • Mandatory Reporter can print their own Certificates of Completion
        • This may help cut the cost of this training
        • Any request for a Certificate of Completion, maybe we can have them wait a week for them to print their own
        • Evan will put in a request to Marv to allow this feature
        • This change may have to be taken into consideration for upcoming years, instead of changing mid-year
    • Sharon is concerned about our response to our schools
      • It is felt that we need to address the needs of this group
      • We may need to name this something completely different
  • We need to look and see where this fits in the line of priorities to see where this type of training fits
  • What are we going to do with non-participating districts and what is being done to encourage them to become participants of this type of learning?
    • It is important to encourage the participating districts to maintain their participation in this type of learning
    • We need to market the convenience and cost effectiveness of this type of learning
    • Ideas on marketing on what your $.50 per student gets you
      • Part of helping participating districts to the features of the system
      • Maybe a blurb that outlines what the Online Training System can do for them
      • If you would like a tour of the options or to speak with someone, they could contact Evan to walk them through the features
      • Also include the new trainings that will be added this year
      • Possibly quotes on what the Online Learning System can do for them
      • This may be something that could be placed in the School Leader Update
      • It is cautioned about going to specific districts without checking with individual AEA key personnel
    • Target audience
      • Superintendents
    • What's New in PD (Heartland blog for new courses)
      • We have not been including AEA PD Online courses
      • Maybe individual AEA's need to be aware of our communication to districts
    • Peggy sends out tweets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
• Joint Director Proposal
  • A proposal that is being considered by the Joint Directors
    • With all the different statewide initiatives going on right now, there needs to be coordination
      • Looking at ways to coordinate all statewide work
      • Nothing will be decided immediately
      • We have been working well as AEA's, but now how can we work better together as a state
      • The changes we are eluding to will take a long time to implement and a lot of discussion
    • People are recognizing that there is so much going on in the area of online and that we need to move in the same direction
      • It is too big and too expensive to not be moving in one direction
      • This proposal did not come from the Ed Services directors, but from a group within the Chiefs group
• License Renewal Coordinators - Consistency Committee
  • They would like to meet periodically throughout the year
  • They November meeting was cancelled, there is a meeting today
  • Nothing has been moved forward
  • Consistency
    • Common registration system
    • Reimbursement to teachers
    • We have to be willing to give up some of the things that are sacred to us
• "Independent Contractor" vs. "Employee"
  • This only affects the people that are not currently employed by an AEA or LEA
  • There are two different distinctions that need to be indentified
    • Heartland has always hired them as a temporary employee
    • Heartland has created a checklist to identify potential instructors as employees or independent contractors
    • This topic was brought to the forefront because of a few instructors for Online Instructors
      • The I-9 is not easily completed if the instructor lives in a different state
      • These instructors will be identified as independent contractors
      • The pay is the same, at issue is the benefits that are offered
    • This is just another way that AEAs are running differently
    • Not all instructors for online courses have to hold a Masters degree, but they are partnered with someone that does hold the appropriate credentials
• Instructor Survey
  • An instructor survey will be sent in December
    • Concerns were shared regarding graduate credit by some instructors of online courses
    • Online Council wants this survey sent to see if there are other issues
    • Peggy volunteered to work with Evan on this project
• Adobe/Envision-Tel Events Manager
  • Front-end registration system that lists all scheduled virtual meetings being offered
  • Also lists all scheduled trainings through Adobe Connect Pro
  • This could be tied together so that it is statewide, there is a cost involved
    • We have not negotiated with them to offer this service
    • It is a little cost prohibitive at this time
• Revenue Update

• Expenditure Update


• Moodle 2.0
  • Eventually everyone will be on 2.0, so will we have to make the updates
  • There is the transition process itself
    • Involves taking the server down and moving content
    • Training for users and instructors
    • Cosmetic items that need to be done
      • We have applied a theme to our serve and this will need to be recreated
      • Not all plugins will work or will need to be updated
    • Each AEA has its own Moodle server and ILO has its own Moodle server
      • We may want to look at moving at the same time
      • K-12 schools may be able to make the transition during the summer
      • This is not an option for us because summer is our busiest time
        • Sometime in the spring may work, but there is not a day that all courses are done
        • ILO will be looking at moving it in the spring
          • Rough date is between May 18 and 1st week of June
        • The statewide Moodle site is facing issues in the conversion process also
          • A sandbox has been created
          • Resource Iowa allows for five sites
          • The have a spot for their current site
          • Will have a site for 1.9 and 2.0
          • Transition will follow the lead of the AEA and IPTV
        • Is it possible to have the work on two different servers
          • It is possible
          • But from a management standpoint, this is not ideal
          • It would have to happen for courses that are midstream, but they would be sunset at the end of the course
      • AEA267 is looking for the okay to move forward, they want to move when the statewide system moves
        • AEA267 is looking for a timeline and date for the transition
        • AEA's can plan accordingly once the timeline is presented
      • From local support is there anything else that can be provided by AEA PD Online
        • Lessons on importing courses from one to another
        • What features seem to be the one's that are not picked up as easily
    • If there are recommendations from our group, it would be appreciated.
    • Some current courses may not work in Moodle 2.0 and will need to be tweaked
    • It makes sense to go statewide, but funding is the biggest issue
    • We will target April for the transition date
      • Test box will be placed in the next month, so we can work with it
      • Training materials for individuals will be developed
      • Target date and timeline will be developed by Evan and Peggy
Moodle Users Group
Update, Next Steps
Evan, Tiffany, & Bob Puffer
30
The link for this group
https://sites.google.com/site/iowamug/
  • It will be nice to have group up and running prior to the transition to Moodle 2.0
    • This will be a helpful resource for collaboration
    • Evan will get a form, common marketing blurb, to the whole group
    • A tool needs to be selected for this whole site to live
      • Will it be a Wiki, a Moodle site or something else
      • A date that it goes live needs to be selected
    • Dilemma is moving this forward
      • What is the "buy-in" by other groups
      • Planning meeting after Christmas to identify stakeholders
      • Hopefully this will be up and running in March
        • May not need a preponderance of stakeholder to get it up and running
        • Denise Krefting will be a great resource for this group also
      • Are there other "go to" people, other than Denise, Scott and Karen?
    • Knowing who the stakeholders are, it is not believed that there will be a shortage of people at the table
Communication Flowchart
Inform, Discuss, Next Steps
All
30
  • This was a request by Nancy McIntyre to improve communication
  • Evan has several different groups he communicates with
    • Not every update is sent to every group
      • SWOLC
      • Instructors
      • AEA Contacts
      • Communication Directors
      • Media Directors
    • It is felt that a flowchart of communication may be helpful
  • How do we fix the problem that AEA PD Online is not known amongst the Superintendents
    • Communication flowchart that comes from this meeting
    • How is the information for this meeting being filtered out to each AEA
      • The key person should be the person who sits on this council
      • People that sit on other councils bring back information that they have heard regarding AEA PD Online
      • We are missing three AEA's today, this is quite common for each meeting
        • We are aware that there are minutes and recordings, but do people really go through the minutes or the recordings
      • There are no longer clear channels of communication
      • It is not felt that the problem lies with where Evan is at
      • Can this process be improved is the real question
    • Highlights of the meeting, what needs to be done prior to the next meeting and who it needs to be shared with
      • Would this be helpful to send out after the meetings
    • Would it be helpful for the representative on this Council identify an alternate, so if the representative can not attend this meeting the alternate does
    • Who makes up this group and what do we want this group to do?
      • This discussion has been help many times
      • Each AEA provided a director that would attend these meeting
        • Sharon is the representative for Heartland, but Lynn McCartney is the alternate
        • Lynn has attended the meetings for a year
      • Evan is struggling with is this a transition that needs to be made and how quickly does this transition need to be made
        • This is a transition that should be made, in order to have the aligned conversation with other groups
        • We want to work in the direction of this being a functional workgroup, but How do we get there?
        • Should this be taken back to the directors in order to identify those "boots to the ground" people that have the time to commit to this workgroup
        • We could be much more productive if we had a representative at each AEA
        • It is happening at Heartland because Evan and Peggy are housed here, but it needs to happen at each AEA
          • Heartland, AEA267 and Keystone have made a commitment to this initiative
          • Some representatives do feel that the expansion is needed to this group
        • Evan will visit with each AEA individually to see what the needs are at the other AEA's
          • A proposal will be created once these meetings are held
          • We need to get the ball rolling without stepping on toes
          • In January, Evan will present a proposal to present to each AEA in order to secure a "boots on the ground" person and that they will commit the time to be an active member of this Council
Closing
What needs to be communicated?
Future agenda items?
Evan
5
Agenda items:
  • Blurb out about the Intel elements offerings
  • Peggy will secure list of other possible instructors for Intel
  • Look at possibility of Intel dollars for possible mentors
  • Online Mandatory Reporter Certificates being printed by individual users
  • Evan will send out an email regarding the duplicate Certificates
  • Specific marketing blurb will be sent to AEA's to be sent to superintendents to promote the Online Learning System
  • Make a proposal to the chiefs that we have a voice in the consistency plan
  • Results of survey in January
  • Date and timeline sent out for the transition to Moodle 2.0
  • Information regarding the Moodle Users Group
  • Evan will talk with the directors regarding a proposal for the representatives of the Online Council