Review of agenda, Updates
Common understanding, Identification of additional items (Questions/Actions are listed below in red)

Recording, part 1-
http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/p4w7k6l7dna/

Recording, part 2 -
http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/p998nknfy40/


Current Projects:
Current Projects

1. Updates
• Chiefs Update (Evan)
  • Another meeting will be held in December
• Directors Update (Evan)
• Special Education Course Update (Peggy & Rob)

  • Peggy and Rob met with Gary Peterson and Linda Van
  • Content has been put together
  • First two projects will be reviewed before April 1
  • Will ask SPED teachers and directors to pilot
  • Will be a facilitator guide
  • Three ways of delivery
    • Hybrid
    • face-to-face
    • online
  • We are on the agenda for the SPED Directors for December
    • Will ask for input on this project
    • Will share information from David Happe's group
    • Recommended that workflows be put in place the "need-to-know" people are contacted in the beginning
  • Compliance is one thing; let's work toward quality
• Instructional Coaching Course (Evan)
  • Train-the-trainer session is starting on January 6
  • Registration has been sent out; this is a site-based course
  • Five people are registered, this course will run
    • Mississippi Bend - 3 people
    • AEA 267 - 1 person
    • Dubuque Schools - 1 person
  • Ed Services directors commissioned that a course be created
  • Each AEA will have a trained consultant and can offer this course as site-based in their area
  • They could also offer a catalog course in off-contract hours
• Ed Info, DE A&A (Rob)
  • The DE is creating a new portal
  • Part of the portal includes an A & A database
  • Ed Info portal will be turned off on December 31, 2012
  • Meeting in November, three projects came from this meeting
    • How do you create an A&A account
    • Security officer account
    • Accessing the portal
• Instructor Recruitment (Deborah)
  • The new recruits are in the course development stage
  • Assistive Technologies
    • Brought by a single person
    • This may not have been worked through a community
    • Parts of the course have been offered through the ICN in the past
  • Co-teaching will be developed
    • Working with Marietta Rives
  • Early Childhood-more content is needed
    • Developing collaborative partnerships throughout the community
    • This course has 10 topics, so it could be more than one course
    • Units on
      • Funding
      • Community Resources
      • Visioning and Missions
    • Evan met with Laura Bell's group last March
      • There was not time within the group to commit to comprehensive plans
      • The first step was Tom Rendo project through grant money
  • Next Generation Science content
    • Viterbo has asked that this go forward because they need the content now
    • Not exclusive with Viterbo
    • Deborah has been in contact with Yvette
    • We have a policy to offer all three options for graduate credit (Drake, Morningside and Viterbo)
  • Paraeducators for Early Childhood is in the initial stages
    • License Renewal Coordinators are revisiting this program
    • It is a desire of the Coordinators to have some consistency in the program
    • This will not be fully online because they would like some face-to-face components in the training
  • Poetry seminar
    • Structure has been set up on the Moodle 2.0 server
    • Been offered through the CoPI group
• Equella (Evan)

  • Evan attended this training in November, along with
    • Brian and Tiffany from IPTV
    • Susan Schrader
    • Karen Randel
    • Jeff Berger
  • Aggressive timeline to get things done
  • Questions regarding getting content in
  • Branding and Marketing this has been an issue
  • Communication Directors have been pulled into this issue
    • Do we brand everything?
    • Do we brand certain things?
  • Steering community members are in the process of generating names
  • The deadline of January 8, 2013, may not be met
  • Tiffany suggests that the Meta-data scheme not be used

• Bullying Training (Peggy)
  • Requested by the HR Directors
  • Working with Sue Schirmer
  • Target date of February 2013
  • Different from Workplace Bullying and Cyberbullying
  • This is Student-to-Student Bullying
  • Sue put in content
  • We are moving forward with design and activities to make more interactive
  • Marv will provide feedback
• Interviewing/Hiring Training (Evan)
  • Practice for Interviewing Committees and Hiring Teams
  • This is directed towards the hiring committee
  • Work with a team from Mississippi Bend AEA
  • Final draft will be sent to Marv on December 15, 2012
  • Up and ready prior to mid-January 2013
  • Step two will allow each AEA to create mini trainings which will be AEA specific
  • Evan has been contacted by three AEA's regarding the mini trainings
    • Mississippi Bend
    • Heartland
    • Great Prairie
• IASBO/Business Training (Rob)
  • The first three hour webinar was held
  • Discovered an issue regarding Adobe Connect Pro
  • Adobe has made updates which makes the export file is not convertible to anything else
    • We are unable to edit into units
    • Evan can use QuickTime Pro that will work on his computer, but not on any other computer
  • Tiffany from AEA267 will contact Evan with this issue
  • There is a required endorsement for School Business Officiers
    • Hired prior to July 1, you were grandfathered in
    • Hired after July 1, you are required to obtain an endorsement through a two-year program

• K-12 Content Template Creation (Evan)

  • Meeting with Brian, Tiffany, Denise and Gail
  • Taking a template that was created previously by Brian and Tiffany
  • Gail will be using the template for her current course to see if it is an easy project
  • Allows people with non-technical training in Moodle to create a course
  • They would work with an Instructional Designer to set up the course in a delivery mode

2. Marketing/Communication (Deborah & Evan)
• December Newsletter Items
  • Will be sent out on the 15th of each month
  • We are always looking for content
  • Newsletter is being disseminated by each AEA Communication Director
  • If a person has signed up for updates at the booth, they will receive the newsletter
  • Anyone who has taken the OLLIE course will receive
AEA PD Online Blog, AEA K-12 Online Blog
  • These are up and running
  • Content from newsletter is currently appearing here
• Logos
copilogo_orange.pngaeak12onlinebanner2012.jpgaeapdonlinebanner2012.jpg

• App
  • Communication Directors have commissioned a third-party to develop an app for the AEA's
  • Directory with links to places on the web
  • Marv Howard is interested for the online trainings
  • Moodle mobile apps that have mixed reviews
  • Connecting it with Equella
  • Podcasts and webinars
  • Course Registration
  • Ability to check grades
  • We do not know if the work can be part of the Communication Directors work
  • It was recommended that we have our own app
• Correlation with ITIP, Iowa AEA Online


  • Nancy Movall and Evan have been working on making the correlation on how these two areas are related
  • ITIP has some representation by each AEA
  • Heard from a few Directors that this should be an Issues Alert
  • Bring to Media Directors to have a discussion in January
  • Evan has had a discussion with Sheila King regarding Ed Services group
  • For internal use to assist groups understand how each group works together
  • Another group to be included should be Instructional Technology consultants
  • Evan will coordinate with Stacy Beemer immediately

3. AEA PD Online Live (Rob, Evan)
• Webinar Series
• Podcasts
• Upcoming: Soft Chalk
  • We would like to ramp up our access to our Live events
  • Create a calendar of upcoming events
  • Our first Webinar that we are going to create is on Softchalk
  • Rob has been working on Best Practices
    • Ensure technology is working
    • Person presenting should not be monitoring the technology
    • One person is lecturing, but more than one is a conversation
    • Topical type resouces
    • Bringing in webinars that are already out there
    • Place a disclaimer regarding the selling of any product that is being advertised
  • This is something that has not been centralized throughout the AEAs
  • We could market this to different groups
  • It takes a lot fewer resources compared to trainings, courses or modules
  • Our goal is one webinar per month advertised in our newsletter

4. CoPI (Nancy & Evan)
• Update, Upcoming Projects and Calendar
  • All groups have met with ongoing meetings set up
  • Look at immediate projects
  • Process of writing this up and will be put into the update to the Directors
  • Evan is visiting with the Dowling Catholic School guidance counselors to create a course for students
  • Nancy placed a link on the left-side of the Wiki titled CoPI
• Communities of Practice AUP

  • We need to spell out some policies around Communities of Practice

• Agora/Digital Habitats
  • Communities of Practice meeting place
  • Logistical issues need to be discussed
    • Are we going to have separate Communities
    • Common hub and then separate into Communities
  • How will information be disseminated to schools?
    • Not sure as of right now
    • Ramp up process will be part of group discussions
  • There is no cost to the districts

5. Budget (Evan)
• Addendum Days for Instructional Designers, K-12 Online Specialist
  • Evan will take this to the Governance Council for approval
  • Addendum days vary from nine to fifteen days per consultant
  • These folks need to be available during the summer months, as well as during the school year
    • Going forward 192 day contracts may not be doable
• 2013-14 Budget
  • Built on a zero growth basis
  • Is also built on 192 day contracts
  • Heartland has a 192 day contract with a 33 day supplement to 225 days
  • If we continue with the 192 contract, a serious discussion will need to be had around the purpose of our work
  • We have Directors groups in the AEAs that are making a lot of recommendations around the work we do
    • Good for them to get the advantages of the things that we can provide
    • Resources are involved in this also and the system must invest the resources to make this happen
  • If we are few a simply a moneymaking entity
    • We may have to begin charging an hourly rate for our services
    • If we continue to invest in projects that do not bring money back to us
    • Priorities will begin to shift from priority-based to whomever can pay for the projects
• Budgetary Impacts for AEAs
  • Any surplus is distributed back to the AEA's


6. OLLIE Re-Design (All)
• Intro to the Online Learner (Jan 15)
• Technology for Online Instruction (Dec 31)
• Instructional Design (Current)
• Facilitation (March 1)
• Assessment, Feedback, and Evaluation (Dec 31)

7. MOLLIE Courses
• Using Online Resources (Already Offered)
• Blended Learning in the Classroom (Late Feb)
• Creating Online Lessons and SoftChalk (Summer)
• Instructional Design 2: Visual Design (Summer)
• Synchronous Learning and Media (Summer)
• Adult Learning (???)

8. Soft Cloud Demo (if interest)
Closing
What needs to be communicated?
Future agenda items?

Agenda items:
  • Identify new projects in our written updates to discuss level of support
  • Discussion regarding graduate partner courses
  • More to demonstrate on AEA PD Online Live
  • May have budget approval or will provide the feedback from Chiefs meeting
  • Ongoing updates